I love this sausage recipe, which comes from Jeff Smith’s wonderful cookbook, The Frugal Gourmet, a companion to his PBS cooking show, which I grew up watching. I use this sausage primarily as a pizza topping, but it would be great over rice, in a red sauce — whatever strikes your fancy. The above is a photo of a pizza I made that incorporates the sausage as one of its many toppings.
- 2 lb coarse ground pork or turkey
- 1 T coarse ground dried fennel
- 1 dried bay leaves, crushed
- 1 T dried parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/8 t hot dried pepper flakes (opt)
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 4 T water
Mix. Let stand 1 hour. Mix. Stuff into casings or fry plain.
Enough sausage for several large pizzas
I have not figured out if casings are allergen-free for my son, so for now we simply fry up the sausage meat plain in a frying pan. Quite often we take the cooked meat and top our pizzas with it. Yum. 🙂
The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith, 1984