White rice is one of the easiest side dishes to prepare and it does not take much to get the hang of it. Here is a very quick and simple recipe that is somewhat forgiving and easy to master.
Difficulty Level: easy
Prep Time: none
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups white rice
- Depending on the rice, rinse once or twice. Do not rinse if the package says it is pre-washed or says something like “washing not necessary.”
- Combine water and rice into a small to medium sized stainless steel pot
- Bring to a boil (about 6 minutes)
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 6 minutes
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes
- fluff up the rice and serve
Notes, hints, and substitutions:
- This recipe can be doubled.
- Different varieties of rice need more or less water to cook. We prefer Kokuho Rose variety of rice. It is a short to medium grain rice that makes sushi well.
- Use more water for wetter rice and less water for more dry rice, depending on your preference. Either way, start with this recipe.
- We generally use a 6 quart pot.
- Do not use aluminum. Rice comes out best with pots made from stainless steel, carbon steel, or cast iron. Aluminum can leave an off-flavor, not to mention it has been tied to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Feel free to substitute half chicken or other broth for half the water